El Paso, Texas is a vibrant city that offers a wide range of family-friendly activities to suit every interest. Whether you’re seeking outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or educational outings, El Paso has something for everyone. Here are some exciting activities that families can enjoy together in this beautiful city.
- Franklin Mountains State Park: Embark on an outdoor adventure at Franklin Mountains State Park, the largest urban park in the United States. With over 100 miles of trails, families can hike, bike, or even go rock climbing while enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding desert landscape.
- El Paso Zoo: Explore the wonders of wildlife at the El Paso Zoo. Home to over 200 species from around the world, this zoo offers an educational and entertaining experience for visitors of all ages. From feeding giraffes to watching sea lion shows, there’s no shortage of excitement here.
- Wyler Aerial Tramway: Take a ride on the Wyler Aerial Tramway and witness stunning panoramic views of El Paso and its neighboring cities from Ranger Peak. This unique attraction provides families with an unforgettable experience as they soar above the rugged mountains.
- Museums and Cultural Centers: El Paso is rich in history and culture, with several museums and cultural centers worth exploring. The El Paso Museum of Art features a diverse collection of artworks spanning various periods and styles, while the Insights Science Museum offers interactive exhibits that engage young minds.
- Western Playland Amusement Park: For thrill-seeking families, Western Playland Amusement Park is a must-visit destination. With exhilarating rides like roller coasters, bumper cars, and water slides, this park guarantees hours of fun-filled entertainment for all ages.
- Hueco Tanks State Historic Site: Discover ancient rock art and explore unique natural rock formations at Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. Families can take guided tours to learn about the historical significance of these sacred grounds and enjoy picnicking, hiking, and birdwatching in the surrounding area.
- Plaza Theater: Catch a family-friendly show or musical performance at the historic Plaza Theater in downtown El Paso. This beautifully restored venue hosts a variety of events throughout the year, providing entertainment for all ages.
- El Paso Children’s Museum (Coming Soon): Excitement is building as El Paso prepares to welcome its newest attraction, the El Paso Children’s Museum. Set to open soon, this state-of-the-art facility will offer interactive exhibits and educational programs designed to engage and inspire young minds.
El Paso truly has something for everyone when it comes to family activities. Whether you’re seeking adventure, education, or cultural experiences, this city has it all. So gather your loved ones, explore the wonders of El Paso, and create lasting memories together.
8 Frequently Asked Questions About Family Activities in El Paso, Texas
- What are the best family activities in El Paso?
- Are there any free family activities in El Paso?
- What indoor family activities are available in El Paso?
- Where can I find kid-friendly restaurants in El Paso?
- What outdoor activities can my family do in El Paso?
- Are there any parks or playgrounds for families to visit in El Paso?
- Are there any museums or attractions suitable for families visiting El Paso?
- What special events take place throughout the year that are suitable for families visiting El Paso?
What are the best family activities in El Paso?
El Paso offers a wide array of family-friendly activities that are sure to create lasting memories. Here are some of the best activities to enjoy with your family in El Paso:
- Franklin Mountains State Park: Explore the great outdoors at Franklin Mountains State Park, where you can hike, bike, picnic, and even go rock climbing. The stunning desert scenery and diverse wildlife make it a perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- El Paso Zoo: Visit the El Paso Zoo and get up close with over 200 species of animals from around the world. From giraffes to elephants, the zoo offers an educational and entertaining experience for all ages.
- Wyler Aerial Tramway: Take a ride on the Wyler Aerial Tramway and enjoy breathtaking views of El Paso and its surroundings from Ranger Peak. This unique attraction provides a thrilling adventure for the whole family.
- Insights Science Museum: Engage young minds at Insights Science Museum, where interactive exhibits allow children to explore various scientific concepts through hands-on activities. From physics to biology, there’s something for everyone to discover.
- Western Playland Amusement Park: Experience excitement and thrills at Western Playland Amusement Park, featuring roller coasters, water slides, bumper cars, and more. This park guarantees fun-filled entertainment for all ages.
- El Paso Museum of Art: Immerse yourselves in art and culture at the El Paso Museum of Art. With a diverse collection ranging from ancient to contemporary art, this museum offers educational opportunities for art enthusiasts of all ages.
- Plaza Theater: Catch a family-friendly show or musical performance at the historic Plaza Theater in downtown El Paso. This beautifully restored venue hosts a variety of events throughout the year that cater to all tastes.
- Hueco Tanks State Historic Site: Discover ancient rock art and explore unique natural rock formations at Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. Guided tours offer insights into the historical and cultural significance of the area.
- El Paso Children’s Museum: Set to open soon, the El Paso Children’s Museum promises to be a fantastic addition to the city’s family attractions. This state-of-the-art facility will offer interactive exhibits and educational programs designed to engage young minds.
These are just a few of the many family activities available in El Paso. Whether you’re seeking outdoor adventures, educational experiences, or cultural outings, this city has something for everyone to enjoy together.
Are there any free family activities in El Paso?
Absolutely! El Paso offers a variety of free family activities that allow you to have fun and create lasting memories without breaking the bank. Here are a few options:
- Visit the Chamizal National Memorial: This park commemorates the peaceful resolution of a border dispute between the United States and Mexico. Families can explore the beautiful grounds, enjoy picnicking, and even catch free outdoor concerts and theater performances during certain times of the year.
- Explore San Jacinto Plaza: Located in downtown El Paso, San Jacinto Plaza is a historic park that offers a relaxing atmosphere for families. Enjoy a leisurely walk around the plaza, let the kids play on the playground, or simply relax on one of the benches while taking in the sights.
- Take a stroll along Scenic Drive: Scenic Drive offers breathtaking views of El Paso and its surrounding mountains. Pack some snacks, hop in the car, and drive up to enjoy panoramic vistas. There are several lookout points where you can stop and take memorable family photos.
- Discover Art in Downtown: Take a self-guided tour through downtown El Paso’s art district to appreciate various murals and sculptures that adorn buildings and public spaces. This is not only an opportunity to introduce your children to different forms of art but also to explore the vibrant downtown area.
- Attend Free Community Events: Keep an eye out for free community events happening throughout El Paso, especially during holidays or special occasions. These events often feature live music, cultural performances, food vendors, and activities for children.
Remember to check local event listings or visit community websites for up-to-date information on free family activities happening in El Paso during your visit. With a little research and planning, you can enjoy quality time with your family without spending a dime!
What indoor family activities are available in El Paso?
El Paso offers a variety of indoor family activities that are perfect for those seeking entertainment and fun, even when the weather isn’t cooperating. Here are some great options for indoor family activities in El Paso:
- Bob-O’s Family Fun Center: This indoor amusement park is packed with exciting activities such as go-kart racing, mini-golf, bumper cars, laser tag, and arcade games. It’s a one-stop destination for hours of family-friendly entertainment.
- Adventure Zone: Adventure Zone is an indoor entertainment complex that features a range of activities suitable for all ages. From mini-golf and batting cages to bumper boats and an arcade, there’s something to keep everyone entertained.
- Escape rooms: Challenge your family’s problem-solving skills by trying out one of El Paso’s escape rooms. These interactive experiences require teamwork and critical thinking to solve puzzles and escape within a set time limit.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema: Enjoy a movie outing with a twist at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. This theater offers comfortable seating, delicious food, and drinks served right to your seat while you enjoy the latest blockbuster or classic film.
- El Paso Museum of Art: Take your family on an artistic journey at the El Paso Museum of Art. Explore their diverse collection of artworks from different periods and cultures, participate in interactive exhibits, or join one of the museum’s educational programs tailored for families.
- Sunland Park Mall: If you’re looking for some retail therapy combined with indoor activities, head to Sunland Park Mall. In addition to shopping opportunities, you’ll find an arcade center with various games and attractions that kids will love.
- Licon Dairy Petting Farm: Located just outside El Paso in San Elizario, Licon Dairy Petting Farm offers an indoor petting zoo experience where children can interact with farm animals like goats, sheep, rabbits, and more.
- Paint and Sip Studios: Unleash your family’s creativity by attending a paint and sip session at one of El Paso’s art studios. Enjoy a guided painting class while sipping on your favorite non-alcoholic beverages.
These are just a few examples of the many indoor family activities available in El Paso. Rain or shine, you’ll find plenty of options to keep the whole family entertained and create lasting memories together.
Where can I find kid-friendly restaurants in El Paso?
El Paso offers a variety of kid-friendly restaurants that cater to families with children. Here are some popular options where you can enjoy a meal while keeping the little ones entertained:
- Crave Kitchen and Bar: This family-friendly restaurant features a diverse menu with options for both kids and adults. They offer a dedicated kids’ menu that includes favorites like burgers, macaroni and cheese, and chicken tenders.
- The Hoppy Monk: Known for its relaxed atmosphere and extensive menu, The Hoppy Monk offers a family-friendly environment with outdoor seating options. They have a children’s menu with items like mini burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, and chicken nuggets.
- Luby’s: A long-standing favorite among families, Luby’s is an American-style cafeteria that offers a wide range of comfort food options. They have a kids’ menu with choices like chicken strips, spaghetti, and macaroni and cheese.
- Peter Piper Pizza: If you’re looking for a fun dining experience for the whole family, Peter Piper Pizza is an excellent choice. Alongside their delicious pizzas, they offer arcade games, rides, and entertainment suitable for kids of all ages.
- Applebee’s Grill + Bar: With multiple locations in El Paso, Applebee’s is known for its casual dining atmosphere and diverse menu offerings. They provide a kids’ menu with options like mini burgers, chicken fingers, and pasta.
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen: Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen offers made-from-scratch meals in a welcoming environment perfect for families. Their extensive menu includes kid-friendly items such as grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken tenders, and macaroni and cheese.
- Grimaldi’s Pizzeria: If your family enjoys pizza outings, Grimaldi’s Pizzeria is worth considering. With their coal-fired brick oven pizzas and cozy ambiance, it provides an enjoyable dining experience for everyone.
Remember to check the specific locations and their offerings, as menus and availability may vary. These restaurants prioritize creating a family-friendly atmosphere, ensuring that both adults and children can enjoy a delicious meal together.
What outdoor activities can my family do in El Paso?
El Paso offers a plethora of outdoor activities that are perfect for families looking to enjoy the beautiful weather and stunning natural landscapes. Here are some outdoor activities that you can do with your family in El Paso:
- Franklin Mountains State Park: Explore the largest urban park in the United States, Franklin Mountains State Park. With numerous hiking trails of varying difficulty levels, you can embark on a family hike and witness breathtaking views of the desert landscape.
- Wyler Aerial Tramway: Take a ride on the Wyler Aerial Tramway and enjoy panoramic views of El Paso and its surrounding areas from Ranger Peak. This scenic tram ride is an exciting experience for all ages.
- Hueco Tanks State Historic Site: Discover ancient rock art and unique rock formations at Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. Families can enjoy guided tours, picnicking, hiking, birdwatching, and even rock climbing in designated areas.
- Ascarate Park: Spend a fun-filled day at Ascarate Park, one of El Paso’s largest public parks. This park offers activities such as fishing in the lake, pedal boating, picnicking, walking trails, playgrounds, and even a golf course.
- Rio Bosque Wetlands Park: Explore the Rio Bosque Wetlands Park located along the Rio Grande River. This nature reserve provides opportunities for birdwatching, nature walks, and observing various wildlife species in their natural habitat.
- El Paso Mission Trail: Discover the rich history of El Paso by visiting the El Paso Mission Trail. This trail includes three historic Spanish missions – Ysleta Mission, Socorro Mission, and San Elizario Chapel – each offering insights into the region’s cultural heritage.
- McKelligon Canyon: Enjoy a scenic drive or hike through McKelligon Canyon and marvel at its stunning rock formations and serene surroundings. The canyon also hosts various events throughout the year, including concerts and outdoor performances.
- Tom Mays Park: Located in the Franklin Mountains, Tom Mays Park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and stunning views of El Paso. It’s a great spot for a family picnic or a leisurely hike.
- El Paso Zoo: While not entirely outdoors, the El Paso Zoo provides an excellent opportunity for families to explore and learn about wildlife from around the world. The zoo features spacious outdoor exhibits where you can observe animals in naturalistic habitats.
These are just a few of the many outdoor activities that you can enjoy with your family in El Paso. Whether you prefer hiking, exploring nature, or learning about history and wildlife, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in this vibrant city.
Are there any parks or playgrounds for families to visit in El Paso?
Absolutely! El Paso offers numerous parks and playgrounds where families can enjoy outdoor activities and quality time together. Here are a few notable ones:
- Ascarate Park: Located in the heart of El Paso, Ascarate Park is the perfect destination for families. It features a large lake where you can rent paddleboats or go fishing, as well as picnic areas, walking trails, and a playground for children.
- Memorial Park: Situated in the central part of the city, Memorial Park is a popular spot for families. It offers spacious green areas for picnics and sports, along with playgrounds, basketball courts, and a swimming pool to beat the Texas heat.
- Westside Community Park: This park on the west side of El Paso is loved by families for its expansive playgrounds, splash pad area, and shaded picnic spots. It also has walking trails and open spaces for recreational activities.
- Hidden Valley Park: Nestled in the Franklin Mountains foothills, Hidden Valley Park provides a serene setting for families to enjoy nature. The park offers hiking trails suitable for all skill levels, picnic areas with barbecue pits, and a playground surrounded by beautiful desert scenery.
- Marty Robbins Park: Located near the El Paso Zoo, Marty Robbins Park features a large playground with equipment designed for children of all ages. The park also has open spaces for playing sports or flying kites.
- Tom Lea Upper Valley Recreation Area: Situated on the outskirts of El Paso in Upper Valley, this park offers plenty of space to play games or have picnics with family and friends. It includes walking trails that wind through picturesque landscapes.
These are just a few examples of parks and playgrounds in El Paso that cater to families’ needs for outdoor fun and relaxation. Whether you’re looking to enjoy recreational activities or simply spend quality time together surrounded by nature, these parks provide ample opportunities to create lasting memories.
Are there any museums or attractions suitable for families visiting El Paso?
Absolutely! El Paso offers a variety of museums and attractions that are perfect for families visiting the city. Here are some notable options:
- El Paso Museum of Art: The El Paso Museum of Art houses an impressive collection spanning over 5,000 years of art history. With exhibits featuring works from Europe, Mexico, and the United States, this museum provides a wonderful opportunity for families to appreciate different artistic styles and cultures.
- Insights Science Museum: The Insights Science Museum is an interactive learning center that aims to spark curiosity and foster a love for science among visitors of all ages. Families can engage in hands-on exhibits, explore topics like physics and biology, and participate in workshops or demonstrations.
- National Border Patrol Museum: Located near the US-Mexico border, the National Border Patrol Museum offers an educational experience that sheds light on the history and role of border patrol in safeguarding the nation’s borders. Families can learn about the challenges faced by border patrol agents through exhibits showcasing equipment, vehicles, and historical artifacts.
- El Paso Holocaust Museum & Study Center: This museum provides a thought-provoking experience for families seeking to learn about the Holocaust and its impact on humanity. Through exhibits, photographs, survivor testimonies, and educational programs, visitors gain insight into this significant period in history.
- El Paso Railroad and Transportation Museum: Train enthusiasts will enjoy exploring the El Paso Railroad and Transportation Museum. This museum showcases the rich history of railroads in the region through displays of vintage locomotives, model trains, photographs, and historical artifacts.
- Chamizal National Memorial: The Chamizal National Memorial is both a park and cultural center dedicated to promoting understanding between Mexico and the United States. Families can learn about borderland history through exhibits, attend cultural events or performances at the amphitheater, or enjoy outdoor activities in its scenic surroundings.
- Magoffin Home State Historic Site: Step back in time at the Magoffin Home, a historic adobe house that offers a glimpse into the lives of one of El Paso’s prominent families. Guided tours provide insight into the region’s pioneer history and highlight the unique architectural features of this well-preserved home.
These are just a few examples of the family-friendly museums and attractions in El Paso. Whether your interests lie in art, science, history, or culture, there is something for everyone to enjoy while exploring this vibrant city.
What special events take place throughout the year that are suitable for families visiting El Paso?
El Paso hosts a variety of special events throughout the year that are perfect for families visiting the city. Here are some notable events that offer fun and entertainment for all ages:
- Sun City Music Festival (September): Dance to the beats of renowned DJs and enjoy live performances at the Sun City Music Festival. This two-day electronic music extravaganza attracts music enthusiasts from near and far, creating a vibrant atmosphere for families to enjoy together.
- Chalk the Block (October): Celebrate creativity at Chalk the Block, an annual three-day public art festival held in downtown El Paso. Families can witness talented artists transforming sidewalks into stunning chalk masterpieces, enjoy live music, interactive installations, and participate in hands-on art activities.
- WinterFest (November – January): Embrace the holiday spirit at El Paso’s WinterFest, a festive celebration that takes place in downtown El Paso. Families can ice skate on an outdoor rink, marvel at dazzling light displays, enjoy live entertainment, visit Santa’s Village, and indulge in delicious seasonal treats.
- Amigo Airsho (October): Experience the thrill of high-flying aerobatics and breathtaking aerial displays at the Amigo Airsho. This annual airshow features stunning performances by military aircrafts, acrobatic pilots, and parachute teams that will leave families awe-inspired.
- KLAQ Haunted House (October): Get ready for a spine-chilling adventure at the KLAQ Haunted House during Halloween season. This haunted attraction offers a thrilling experience filled with scares and surprises suitable for older kids and teenagers.
- Plaza Classic Film Festival (August): Film enthusiasts of all ages will delight in the Plaza Classic Film Festival, one of the largest classic film festivals in the country. Families can enjoy screenings of beloved classics on the big screen while immersing themselves in cinematic history.
- Fourth of July Celebration: Celebrate Independence Day in El Paso with a spectacular fireworks display. Families can gather at various locations throughout the city to enjoy the dazzling pyrotechnic show and participate in family-friendly activities.
These are just a few examples of the many special events that take place in El Paso throughout the year. Check the local event calendars and websites for up-to-date information on specific dates, venues, and additional family-friendly events happening during your visit to El Paso.